We are here firmly believing we are part of a battle for the universe. We believe that a man named Jesus is the savior of the world and has already won and is yet still including us. We believe God is the creator, and tells his story in the Bible and is good. We believe we have a God’s spirit that directs our life. And we definitely think there is a darkness causing destruction.
Essentially- we believe in the FORCE. Yet we call it GOD.
- We have three classic character types at play for most of the movie that can also relate to how we view church. Guide – Student – Skeptic
- Which type do you most relate to right now?
- Have you ever been the skeptic (or are you the skeptic right now)?
- What are some thoughts the skeptic might have about church?
- Tell about a time you walked into a church and you felt like everyone was speaking a language that you just didn’t understand.
- How did that make you feel?
- Did anyone come alongside you to help you understand?
- Read Acts 8:26-38.
- What stands out to you about this story?
- Have you ever been reading the Bible and felt like you couldn’t understand it?
- Did you ask someone to help you understand?
- Have you ever felt like you should tell someone about Jesus, but you chickened out?
- Read Matthew 28:18-20.
- Does it give you courage to share about Jesus knowing that he said he would be with you to help you?
- Here at Athens Church we say we are “creating a church that unchurched people love to attend.” Answer these questions from the perspective of we (the people in this room) instead of we (the church leadership).
- In what ways are we good at this?
- In what ways can we improve?
- If you have a skeptic in your life, has God been telling you to share Jesus with them?
- How can you do that?
- How can we as a group help?
- Church – Our mission is to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus.
- GUIDES and STUDENTS are needed here.
- If you are a student, what next step can you take to learn more?
- Who can you ask to be a guide in your life?
- If you could be a guide, but you aren’t guiding right now, why not?
- Think about who in your life you can be a guide to, and ask them if you can be a guide in their life.
- How can we as a group help you?
- Who can you invite to come to Athens Church with you next week?
- What is keeping you from inviting them?
You never know what hangs in the balance of an invitation.
You never know what’s in you until you start guiding others.
And you never know the power of the “force” that God offers until you start your relationship with him.
Bible Reading Plan
Song: “The One You Love” by Chris Brown, Steven Furtick, Jason Ingram & Phil Wickham
Podcast: “Let’s Talk: Sharing Your Faith” with Jasmine Holmes, Jackie Hill Perry, and Melissa Kruger