Everyone has asked the question “Who Am I ?” at some point! Our world is happy to tell you who you are and assign you an identity- conservative, white, northerner, white-collar, progresive, black, southerner, and so many more.
But as followers of Jesus, we have been given another identity, one that can change our lives if we truly believe and accept what God says is true about us.
- Think back to when you were little. Whose approval did you want most?
- Who’s approval did you care about most as a teenagaer?
- Do you find yourself searching for someone’s approval in the season that you are currently in? OR Who’s approval matters most to you?
- Tell us about a time that you regretted a decision you made because you were seeking approval
- As Clay mentioned on Sunday, wanting approval can also manifest itself in doing anything to avoid rejection. Have you ever avoided doing the right thing because you feared being rejected?
Read Proverbs 29:25. The book of Proverbs was written by a man named Solomon. Who was he, and why was he so wise?
- In this verse:
- Who is “man” ?
- What is a snare?
- Give an example of how fearing man “proves to be a snare”
- In what area of your life do you find yourself wanting the approval of others most?
- Perhaps you don’t outright “seek the approval of others”. Yet, the approval of others may matter to you in more subtle ways: how you look or dress, what car you drive, where you work or live ,how much money you make, who you know, etc. Is there a “subtle” area of life that you are being ensnared by the desire for approval?
- What does it mean to “Trust in the Lord”? See Proverbs 3:5-6
- How does trusting in the Lord keep us safe?
- What do these verses show us about what God wants for us?
- Who’s approval could potentially (or has) become a snare for you?
- How can you elevate pleasing God over pleasing others? Give some practical examples.
- Perhaps you have already begun asking God to free you from the approval of others. What has this looked like for you, and how has your life changed?
- How can this group help you this week?
Who You Say I Am by Hillsong Worship (Song)
Comparison Trap by Andy Stanley (Book)
Who I Am in Christ by Neil Anderson (Book)
House of the Lord by Phil Wickham (Song)