For the Leader:
While this conversation is about motherhood, there is MUCH to glean from this conversation for all of us, regardless of stage of life or gender! Our hope is that all of us will choose The Way of Jesus as a result of this conversation!
As always, please feel free to make these questions your own and contextualize them for YOUR group!
Mother’s Day and The Way of Jesus
When we think about motherhood, many thoughts and feelings may come to mind. Additionally, there are many thoughts and opinions about what being a good mother means. It is our hope today that we will discover more deeply what Jesus has to say about motherhood (and fatherhood, and really just being a healthy Christ Follower!!
- Regardless of your stage of life (or gender), what feelings/memories come to mind in regards to mothers day?
- Describe your relationship with your own mother. Tell us something you appreciate about your mom!
- Who in your life (that is not your biological or adoptive mother) that has “Mothered” you? Is there anyone in your life that you would consider a spiritual mother?
- For the ladies (no matter your age): Perhaps you don’t have children, and even if you do, who is someone in your life you are a spiritual mother to?
- As a mom or dad, or spiritual parent, what do you do to be the healthiest version of you?
- Read Titus 2:3-5
- Who is this passage written to?
- What do these verses tell us is “good”?
- What is a practical takeaway from this passage?
- Talk about these three ways to Live in regards to motherhood or parenting. Where have you see these play out?:
- The Way of the world: Focuses on Impressing Others
- The Way of Religion: Focuses on our kid’s behavior
- The Way of Jesus: Focuses on shepherding our hearts
- How can you practically prioritize shepherding your child’s heart over focusing on their behavior or even what others think about you?
- These two verses were shared on Sunday. Did anything about them resonate with you?: John 8:36 and Galatians 6:4-5
- For all of us: As you think about your mom (or a spiritual mom), how has she loved you The Jesus Way? Would you consider telling her this week?
- Husbands: When you think about your wife (whether a mom or not), how is she living The Jesus Way?
- What is one way you can further choose The Jesus Way this week? Are there some practical boundaries or supports you need to put in place to help you do this?
Bible Reading Plan
Book: Mom Enough
Podcast: Risen Motherhood