Have you ever felt torn making a decision? Maybe between what you want to do and what you should do, or maybe between what culture does and what God says to do? What if there was a simple way to know the right choice? What if there was a clear way to live in step with how God wants us to live?
The good news is the Holy Spirit helps us do that. However, many people view the Holy Spirit as unapproachable, mystical, or just too confusing, but He doesn’t have to be that way. If you’ve ever wondered what it actually means to live a life guided by the Holy Spirit, then this series is for you.
- What has been your favorite GIF to share in 2020?
- You are not crazy for feeling anxious. On a scale from 1-10, how would you rate your current anxiety, and why did you pick that number? How has this number oscillated in the last few months?
- As Josh shared, “Change can lead to uncertainty, which can lead to anxiety”. How have you found this to be true?
- Do you generally “Fight or Flight” when you feel anxious?
Think About It
- Our guess is that most of us have at least one situation in our lives right now that we wish we could change (and that’s not just a 2020 thing). With that, it is possible that whether we realize it or not, we believe that our anxiety will go away once this situation goes away. How do you try to find peace when you find yourself in this situation (i.e. control, shopping, exercise, etc.)?
- As Josh mentioned on Sunday, ‘the secret to anxiety isn’t you in a better situation, it’s a better situation in you.” If you believed this, how could this affect how you deal with anxiety?
Look It Up
- When Jesus was wrapping up his time on earth, he was telling his disciples about the Holy Spirit, and this is what he said: Read John 14:27
- What does Jesus say he offers us?
- In contrast, what does Jesus say the world offers us?
- What command does Jesus give at the end of this verse?
- Read John 16:33. In this passage Jesus tells us that peace begins with Him and is from Him. This scripture talks about a few practical things we can do to access the peace God offers us through Jesus, while walking in step with the Holy Spirit.
- Prayer (Philippians 4)
- Paying attention to our thoughts
- Do you practice a Sabbath weekly? If yes, what does that look like? If not, what do you need to do to take Jesus up on his invitation to rest?
- Peace comes from knowing what God is like. Thankfully, Jesus is how we know what God is like, and Jesus is trustworthy (you can just look at his life in the New Testament). How does your anxiety change if you imagine your future with Jesus in it (rather than just your circumstances)?
- Anxiety wants to paralyze us from all that God has for us. So we have to fight back. Of the three things we discussed above (Rest, Prayer, Paying attention to our thoughts), which do you need to practice as a fight against anxiety?
- How can the Holy Spirit help us walk in peace?
One Thing to Remember
Write this down, and put it where you can see this this week:
God is Good.
He loves Me.
His will is the best possible outcome for my life.
The Blessing by Elevation Worship (Song)
The Joyful Christian by C.S. Lewis (Book)
Abiding in Christ by Andrew Murray (Book)
Where You Are by Leeland (Song)