Personal Pain. We have all been there, whether it was our pain or someone we love! If you are like most of us, there may have been a time in your life when this pain caused you to doubt a good God. Thankfully for us, the scriptures are full of people missing God in their pain, and doubting the same things. Additionally, the Bible shows us a God pursuing His people right in the middle of their pain. Our hope today is that you will begin to discover why we even experience pain, and where God is when we do!
- Share about a FUNNY time where you have asked yourself “How did I end up here?”
- Describe a time in your life where you experienced pain as a result of bad choices
- Describe a time in your life where you experienced pain but it wasn’t “because of you”
Think About It
- Has a difficult circumstance ever caused you to doubt God? Perhaps it was even just a temporary doubting.
- Why do you think we experience pain?
- Talk about this quote from Sunday’s message:
Our story doesn’t begin with sin and sin doesn’t begin in the human heart. Sin does not start with human beings. It begins with Satan. There is a spiritual realm. There is a spiritual being who is the personification of evil named satan. There was a war in heaven and Satan was cast down. This matters because if we don’t root evil outside of humanity, we will make humanity into Satan. If you don’t believe in demons, you will demonize people. —Jon Tyson
- Does this quote change anything about the way you think about pain?
- As discussed on Sunday, we believe that with sin (global or personal) there are consequences (Romans 6:23). How does this idea explain pain in the world?
Look It Up
Read Ephesians 6:12.
- What stands out to you?
- It’s very easy to blame the problem of pain on each other, or even God. But, what does this verse tell us about the sources of pain?
- Is this verse encouraging or discouraging to you?
- If this verse is true (we believe it is!),does it provoke you to take any action?
While we are often the ones that cause pain, God loves us enough not to eliminate us. In fact, this is why he sent Jesus (John 3:16). God has promised to remove the source of pain not the symptoms. While this may still feel problematic, we believe He has also promised to be WITH us in our pain.
Read John 11:1-36.
- What stands out to you?
- What does this story show us about how Jesus feels about pain?
- Do you believe God/Jesus caused this pain?
- Is the pain in this story pointless?
- Talk about why this story matters to you.
- Which of these three ideas do you need to focus on believing in regards to pain?
- God has a plan for it
- God will eventually Eradicate pain once and for all
- God feels your pain and is with you in it.
- Put this verse (John 16:33) somewhere you can see it, and commit it to memory! We can’t avoid pain, but because of Jesus, we can experience peace and hope in it!
When God Breaks Your Heart by Ed Underwood (Book)
Do you or someone in your group have questions about the Bible, God, Jesus, etc? We would love for you to join a Starting point group!
Sin by Church of the City (Podcast)
Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (Book)