What comes to mind when you think about God? It’s a simple yet revealing question. Unless it’s the Christmas season, most of us don’t think about Jesus being born, but over the next few weeks we’re going to look at Isaiah 9:6 to see what this prophecy surrounding Jesus’ birth can teach us about the character of God.
- Tell us about a favorite Christmas memory! What made it great?
- Describe your most peaceful Christma moment. What music is playing, what are you doing?
- Is there anything you are dreading this Christmas, something that has the potential to rob you of peace?
- What would make this Christmas peaceful for you?
Read Luke 2 together.
- What stands out to you?
- What does verse 14 tell us about what the birth of Jesus offers us?
- Take note of Mary’s response after Jesus is born. Why do you think Mary responded in this way?
- Read Luke 1:28-32. What stands out to you? What truth is given to Mary?
- Read Luke 1:46-51. What decision does Mary make in these verses?
- Clay made this statement that we often easily believe : “Peace is contingent upon perfect circumstances”. This statement is a lie and certainly a trap. As you know, our circumstances are rarely perfect, so we have to shift our thinking. Clay also made this statement: “Peace has the potential to transcend even our imperfect circumstances”. What do you think about this statement? How is this possible, and when have you seen this to be true?
- Do you believe that God is WITH you this Christmas season? Do you also believe that He is FOR you?
- How can you remind yourself of these two things next week?
- How can you, like Mary, choose to glorify the Lord this week and rejoice in God your savior? How can you focus on the giver of peace rather than your circumstances? Perhaps it’s as simple as remembering what God has done for you already. Share something God has done for you this year with the group. Pray together that God would fix your eyes on His goodness this next week!
“Greetings you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you!” —Luke 1:28
The Thrill of Hope by Christy Nockels (Song)
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by Hillsong Worship (Song)
Good Good Father by Chris Tomlin (Song)
Peace by Bethel Music (Song)