For the leader: The Bible can be a complex, multifaceted, and multi-layered topic for any of us. Is it true? Is it worth reading? How do I actually apply what I’m reading to real life? For you as the leader, the goal of tonight is not for you to be a Bible scholar. Instead, we would encourage you to lead your group tonight with authenticity and vulnerability on how the Bible has impacted, guided, and assisted you in connecting with your Heavenly Father as you follow Jesus. Look over the questions below and pick the ones that you think will help you facilitate the best conversation for your group!
- What’s your favorite piece of literature you’ve ever read? Why do you love it?
- What’s a book that has impacted your life? How has it been helpful?
- When you need to make a big decision in life or instructions on how to live your life, what is the first thing you turn to?
What About You?
- What did you learn or perceive about the Bible as a child?
- What do you associate with the Bible now? What words or thoughts come to mind when you think about the Bible?
- What response do you have to the words of the Bible being ancient literature? In some cases, over 1,000 years old?
Look It Up
Read 2 Peter 1:20-21 and 2 Timothy 3:16.
- What is your response to Paul and Peter’s notion that all Scripture is from God? That God inspired humans to write and record God’s word for the world?
- How do these passages impact the idea for you that Scripture can be the first and final authority in life?
- How do these passages impact your thoughts on Scripture being the first thing we can turn to in life for how to live our lives?
- On a scale of 1-10, 10 being “high” and 1 being “low,” how would you rate your reliance on the Bible as the first filter in your life?
- What is one honest reason why you picked the number you did. Why? What change would you like to make this week to nudge yourself towards making the Bible more central in your life?
21 Days in the Gospel of John with Levi Lusko (Reading Plan)
Can We Trust the Gospels? by Peter J. Williams (Book)
How to Eat Your Bible by Nate Pickowicz (Book)
Sign Up for Starting Point