The easiest person to deceive is the person in the mirror. But when we do the hard work of being honest with ourselves, we’re on the way to not selling ourselves a potential regret. Today we hope to get to the bottom of the question, “Am I being honest with myself…really?”
- Is there anyone in your life you would say wasn’t honest with themself about themselves? How did their honesty affect them? How did it affect you?
- Is there an area of your life that you have previously “sold yourself on”? How old were you, and what were the surrounding circumstances (what or who contributed to your decisions)? Were there consequences?
- If a sales associate in a retail establishment said to you the kinds of things you say to yourself… when selling yourself… how would you respond?
- Where do you currently struggle most telling yourself the truth? What are your go-to justifications?
- Andy mentioned that facing the reality of ourselves, may lead us to feeling bad about ourselves. He also said that there are worse things than feeling bad about ourselves (this is very countercultural in a self-help, positive self-talk culture!). Why is it so hard to feel bad about ourselves? What would you say is worse than “feeling bad about yourself”? How would you say the gospel intersects with us feeling bad about ourselves?
- Read Jeremiah 17:9
- What stands out to you?
- How does this verse make you feel?
- Talk about how you have experienced this verse to be true in your life or someone else’s?
- When in scripture have you seen someone be led by their feelings and experience trouble or destruction (ex:. King David) ?
- Jesus said knowing the truth can set us free (John 8:32). But acknowledging what’s truth can be terrifying. Is it possible that fear of what you discover about yourself yourself by being honest with yourself is an obstacle to the freedom you desire?
- In what current circumstance do you need to ask: Am I being honest with myself… really?
- Tell us about a time that you have been honest with yourself about yourself and have experienced freedom
- Is it possible you are holding onto a lie, a comfortable, comforting lie, that is holding you back from what God is inviting you into?
The truth will set you free. This week, would you face up to that terrifying, liberating truth? How can this group help?
On the other side of being honest with yourself is where peace is found.
Bible Reading Plan
Scripture: Proverbs 27:12
Song: “Another in the Fire” by Chris Davenport and Joel Houston
Song: “Run to the Father” by Cody Carnes, Matt Maher, and Ran Jackson