We all love movies. From superheroes to childhood classics, there’s something about movies that capture our imagination and make us feel “all the feels.” And when you experience that with other people… it’s even better! That’s why, this summer, we’re inviting you to At The Movies. Each Sunday we’ll focus on a different movie to see how they offer opportunities to engage with the life-changing love of Jesus.
- What’s faster now than when you were a child (dial-up anyone?) ?
- What is something, if anything, that is slower than when you were a child?
- What is something that is “supposed to be fast”, but never is, and always makes you furious?
- Josh mentioned that with products it is possible for us to get them cheap, fast, and good. However, it’s almost impossible to have all three at the same time. Of these three, which do you value most? Which two do you value most?
- Josh made this statement on Sunday: “The problem with fast and furious is that pretty quickly it leads to exhaustion and burn out”. Has there been a time when you have experienced this to be true?
- How would you describe your current life pace?
- Talk about these two lists. Consider the second list; which of these disciplines do you need to practice? Does it excite you to know that “doing less” might be one of the most spiritual things you can do?
Disciplines of Activity:
- Bible Study
Disciplines of Abstinence
- Read Matthew 11:28.
- What stands out to you?
- What does it look like to “Come to Me (Jesus)”?
- How is it possible that God through Jesus gives us rest?
- Is it new information for you that REST is a part of the Ten Commandments? Why do you think God highlighted REST amongst the list of other ways of Godly living?
- Read Hebrews 4:9. What is important about the word “For”?
- Deuteronomy 5:12-16 is the update of the 10 Commandments listed in Exodus 20. The former passage prompts us to “remember to observe the Sabbath” and the latter prompts us to observe it so we can REMEMBER who God is. Why do you think it’s important to remember who God is and what He has done?
- Talk about the difference between a “break”(Target run!) and “rest”?
- Would you consider a 24 hour “rest” this week? If the thought of this produces anxiety in you, what makes you most anxious? What could your “rest” day look like? If not 24 hours, where could you start?
- How could you work a “prep day” into your schedule?
- What would a “digital rest” look like for you?
- What would it cost you to implement any of these “rest” strategies?
- Is your current pace sustainable?
- How can this group support you this week?
Guardians of the Galaxy
God of Revival by Phil Wickham (Song)
The Lion King
Jeremiah 1:5, Psalm 139:13
Run to the Father by Cody Carnes (Song)
Million Little Miracles by Maverick City Music & Elevation Worship (Song)