What can we possibly learn from these ragtag bunch of goofballs? Hopefully Sunday’s message along with this conversation will help us connect the dots. In fact, we may find that they remind us of ourselves, or at least Jesus’ friends, The Disciples. If nothing else, this story reminds us that we are better together, and that leading people in a growing relationship with Jesus is certainly an all hands on deck mission!
- What is the most unlikely friendship you have that somehow “works”?
- In this season, what priority does the way you spend your time and money reflect?
- When you think about what your priorities are, does the way you spend your time and money reflect the same priorities?
- In one sentence, tell us what your life mission is?
- Meaning: What’s the story you want to tell when your life is over? What impact do you want to make in this city or in the world? When this life is over, what will be said about you?
- Talk about a friendship you have that helps you live on mission.
- Read Matthew 28:18-20
- What stands out to you?
- What is the context of these verses?
- What does Jesus say “The Mission” of His disciples is?
- What does it mean to “Make Disciples”?
- Do you think this is the same mission we are called to today? Why or why not?
- Are you doing anything to “Make disciples”? If yes, what are you intentionally doing? What sacrifices does this require? Talk about why you spend some of your days doing this.
- Why do you think Jesus said, “And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (v. 20), at the end of this conversation? Why would this matter to The Disciples, and why does it matter to you and I?
- At Athens Church we believe “The Church” is the Body of Christ (His Followers), not a building or a group of staff members. We believe that God intends to use us all to accomplish His mission in Athens Georgia, and in the world. We believe that a HUGE piece of following Jesus is not just consuoming Him, but sharing Him, to lead others in and towards a relationship with Him. Because of this, Sean mentioned four ways that Athens Church has purposed to help you lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus.
- Of these four things, which are you currently doing? Which do you feel compelled to start doing, and how to see that as a part of leading people into a growing relationship with Jesus?
- Outside of these four things, our church has intentioned to help connect you with people who also want to live on mission through community groups like this one. Our hope it that while these groups will not be perfect they will provide you with:
- Accountability – inviting people into our lives to help us be our best.
- Belonging – giving us a place where we can come as we are, we don’t have to impress anyone.
- Care – people in our lives who support us through the trials we face.
- How has this group provided you with one of these things?
- Who do you need to invite to join a Community Group this fall?
- What do you need to adjust or eliminate in your life so that you can make space to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus? How can this group support you?
Guardians of the Galaxy
God of Revival by Phil Wickham (Song)
The Lion King
Jeremiah 1:5, Psalm 139:13
Run to the Father by Cody Carnes (Song)
Million Little Miracles by Maverick City Music & Elevation Worship (Song)