We all love movies. From superheroes to childhood classics, there’s something about movies that capture our imagination and make us feel “all the feels.” And when you experience that with other people… it’s even better! That’s why, this summer, we’re inviting you to At The Movies. Each Sunday we’ll focus on a different movie to see how they offer opportunities to engage with the life-changing love of Jesus.
- As you have gone throughout this week, how has this quote from last week “No one is impressed by dinosaurs anymore” affected you?
- What are some of the lies your peers tend to believe?
- When have you seen this pattern Trevour referenced play out?
- A lie was communicated
- A lie was believed
- A lie changed a life
- Do you think people tend to see themselves in a positive or negative way? Why?
- Think about a few of your closest friends. What are a few words they would use to describe themselves? What are a few words you would use to describe yourself?
- Think about how God sees you. How would He describe you?
- Read Luke 15:11-32
- What stands out to you?
- What lie did the son initially believe? How did it affect him?
- What pivotal role did the father play in this story?
- What changed for the son when he remembered who and whose he was?
- Have you ever seen this shift happen in someone’s life?
- Have you ever had someone, like the father in this story, remind you of who and whose you are? How did it change you?
- Unlike the pattern mentioned above, when we remind people of what is true, this pattern can take place:
- Truth was communicated
- Truth was believed
- A life was lived from the truth
However, oftentimes we may not have someone else helping us believe what is true. Yet, scripture says we can ‘be transformed by the renewing of our minds’. Talk together about a piece of scripture that you can (or maybe already have) commit to memory. The Holy Spirit (the Helper!) can bring this scripture to mind, when no one else is around to remind you of what is true!
- What are some of the lies that tend to keep people from coming to God? Is there a lie that keeps you from God? What is TRUE that you can put in place of this lie? (This is a great opportunity for the group to speak truth into someone!)
- This week, what is one truth you can remember about yourself? What is one truth you can remember about God?
- Is there someone in your life you need to remind of who and whose they are?
The Lion King
Jeremiah 1:5, Psalm 139:13
Run to the Father by Cody Carnes (Song)
Million Little Miracles by Maverick City Music & Elevation Worship (Song)